Sunday, October 11, 2009

Signs, Signs, Everywhere, Signs

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?" 1970, Five Man Electrical Band

I like signs, and I appreciate good wayfinding designs.  I didn't realize until I explored Flickr the other day that I am not alone!

Here are a couple of interesting "resources" on the topic.

Sander Baumann is a professional wayfinding strategist from Amsterdam. He is interested in art, design, typography, signs, and wayfinding.  His company is designworkplan.

EGD is a Flickr group pool, and stands for Environmental Graphic Design. 94 members, and lots of cool pics, if you like signs!

If you REALLY are into signs, there is the  4,590 member S!gns group, and the 7,411-member Sign City group.

Below is a video that I like, it shows how signs can give a "sense of place", and live on in our memories:

Signs of San Francisco

Signs of San Francisco from Lindsay Tabas on Vimeo.

Posted on the Second Thoughts blog
Produced by: Lindsay Tabas
Photos by: Katie Delaney
Song: Signs by Bloc Party (buy on iTunes)

Lindsay Tabas, the producer of the video, does interface design, usability, product management, and user experience research. For a glimpse of what she thinks about, read her post, "The UI/UX Sandwich"

RELATED
Tons of YouTube videos about signs

More thoughts about signs, semiotics, and the interfaced world will be shared in the future!

Somewhat related...
Update:
I just came across the Interfaced World blog. "Place, Time, and Technology".  The author of the blog is Mark J. Watts.  Interesting pictures, interesting musings.

2 comments:

lindsayt said...

Hi! I'm glad you enjoyed the video. How did you come across it?

Lynn Marentette said...

I came across your website when I was gathering new information about the UX of wayfinding, signs, etc. as well as putting together info for a a previous post on transdisciplinary design.

-Lynn